Holi is a Hindu festival that celebrates the arrival of spring and the victory of good over evil. It is typically celebrated in late February or early March, and is known for the colorful powder and water that people throw at each other during the celebrations.
Vrindavan is a city in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh in India, and it is considered to be a sacred place for Hindus because it is believed to be the childhood home of the Hindu god Krishna. Because of this, Vrindavan is a popular destination for people who want to celebrate Holi in a traditional way.
During the Holi festival in Vrindavan, there are several events and activities that take place. One of the most popular is the Lathmar Holi, which takes place in the nearby town of Barsana. During this event, women playfully beat men with sticks, and the men try to protect themselves with shields. It is a lively and energetic event that is very popular with tourists.
In Vrindavan itself, the Banke Bihari temple is a popular destination during Holi. Devotees gather in the temple to throw colored powder at each other and sing and dance to traditional Holi songs. The atmosphere is festive and joyful, and it is a great way to experience the spirit of the holiday.
Some facts about Holi festival in India
1. It is one of the biggest festivals of the Indians, comparable to Kullu international Dusehra or Diwali festival
2. Held annually in India around March, the time when the weather is quite nice, not too hot and not too cold at night.
3. The festival is held most enthusiastically in Mathura and Vrindavan, two locations about 170km from the capital New Delhi to the direction of Uttar Pradesh. Those who go to this festival can combine going to Agra to visit the Taj Mahal, the wonder expressing the eternal love of an old Muslim king.
4. The main activity of the Indians and foreign tourists who flock here during this festival is to buy pigments or mix pigments with water guns and shoot or throw colors and apply color on people’s faces and people. another, and at the same time tell the person “Happy Holi”, a friendly expression.
5. Holi festival in 2019 is held on 2 main days, 20 and 21., however, many days ago, in some other cities, there were also specialized festivals about Holi, typically Nadgaon city. on March 17th or in Pushkar on March 19th. Rajasthan is also a very nice state to attend this festival because Rajasthan is known as the land of colorful.
6. Should wear white Indian clothes to go to Holi, very beautiful, and we will feel like being in the flow of people.
7. It is recommended to book a room near the Banke Bihari temple in Vrindavan 2-3 months in advance, need to book a room to have a place to shower and change clothes as well as to put expensive important things inside, playing all day will be very tiring. tired.
8. It’s still not safe for women to go to places like this because it’s very religious, but it’s very vulgar because people can actively throw colored powder and splash water at you without asking, you can feel very offended. If it’s a girl, you should go in a group, I have witnessed a very beautiful Western girl surrounded by many young Indians throwing colored powder and not letting it go, it took a bunch of people to intervene to get her to go.
9. Should wear glasses and have a towel to wipe your eyes and cover your mouth, not covering your face will be very uncomfortable.
10. If you have a camera or phone, if you want to take pictures, you should bring a cover to cover only the lens.
11. Should wear rubber sandals or waterproof sandals, I use shoes so now I can’t clean them forever.
Above are my feelings. If you’re going to this festival, you need to eat well, rest well, and be ready to go crazy and dance with the flow of people here. India is a very beautiful country but also very cultural and in each activity, there are ugliness and beauty of its own, feel free to accept it and enjoy it.